This classic Strawberry Shortcake recipe has homemade buttermilk biscuits, layered with juicy strawberries and whipped cream. This is the perfect summer dessert!
- 1 lb strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- pinch of salt
- Combine the sliced strawberries and sugar in a bowl. Cover, and refrigerate them for at least 4-5 hours, but preferably overnight.
- For the biscuits, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and butter in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture. This means to work the butter in by pressing it and breaking it until the mixture resembles crumbles.
- Add the buttermilk and combine to form a dough.
- Press the dough out to about 1"-1.5" thickness, and cut out the biscuits with a round cookie cutter.
- Brush egg wash on top of the biscuits. For the egg wash, combine one egg yolk with a little bit of water.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, and allow to cool completely.
- Cut the biscuit in half and top with your strawberries, allowing the strawberry juices to soak into the biscuit. Add some whipped cream, then place the other half of the biscuit on top. Garnish with whipped cream, strawberries, and mint if you'd like!