Grandma's Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies are perfectly soft, and hold their shape well for decorating! They are my grandma's recipe, so they hold a very special place in my heart!
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream room temp
- 1 egg room temp
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- OPTIONAL sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the softened butter and shortening together.
- Add sugar, cream until light pale and fluffy.
- Add egg and sour cream until well combined.
- Add sifted dry ingredients just until blended.
- OPTIONAL: Hand mix sprinkles into dough.
- Scoop out onto saran wrap, wrap up and put in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Sprinkle flour onto the surface you will roll out the dough on. Cut off a piece of dough and store the rest in the fridge. Sprinkle more flour on top, and roll out to about 1/2" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out your dough.OR
- Scoop the dough and flatten slightly on the sheet pan (you can do this if you are not decorating the cookies)
- Put in the oven for 6-8 minutes. The bottom of the cookies should get to a light golden brown. The edges of the cookies should have hardly any browning to them.
- If you are decorating with frosting or royal icing, let the cookies cool completely first.