Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
This is a classic chocolate cake recipe that would be delicious for any occasion!
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup water, room temperature
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- Beat the softened butter and sugar together for a few minutes. You want the sugar to mix in well, and the mixture will get fluffy looking and lighten in color.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla.
- Sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Alternate adding the dry mixture with the water until it all comes together.
- Pour into greased cake pans, or cupcake pans, and bake at350 degrees. A 6-inch cake took 35-40 minutes to bake, and cupcakes usually take around 12-15 minutes. Start on the low end, then to check if they are done, lightly tap the top of the cake and if it springs back, they are done.
- Let them cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the butter until it is smooth.
- Add the powder sugar, cocoa powder, sour cream, and milk. Mix it until it is very smooth. If the frosting is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until it is the consistency you want.